Vintage Plate Collection

I've begun collecting antique plates whenever I see any that I like, and over the past week I've already collected quite a few!

A few months ago, I was feeling really frustrated with all of my kitchen plates, and I was wanting to start fresh with a new set. I hated how plain ours were (they are all just a solid green) and I didn't want to purchase a new set just to feel the same way in a year. I began thinking about how much I love seeing people's china and hate that the prettiest plates often get put aside and never used. So I decided to collect individual plates as I find them, and end up with a mismatched result that would be beautiful and handpicked by me. (and none of my friends will ever have the same set of dishes as I do!)




Over the past week, I've collected seven plates from a couple different antique stores in my area. I thought it would take a lot longer to find ones that I really like! I am not quite finished collecting them yet. I think I want a set of six large plates and six smaller plates.



This is one of the first plates I got. It was at an antique store across the street from my house, and it was unmarked so the owner sold it to me for $1. I love the bridge detail, and the rim design.


This orange flower plate was bought at the same store, also unmarked and for $1. The store is rather unorganized and these plates were all stacked together in the very back underneath full sets of dishes so I think they were forgotten about. I normally don't love the color orange but this plate makes me think of Thanksgiving and I can't wait to use it for a Thanksgiving feast this year.


This is the last plate I got on that first trip. It is much smaller than the others, I think it belongs with a teacup actually. But it was only 50 cents and I thought it was cute, so I can ignore the little chip on it.


This blue flower plate may just be my current favorite. It was bought today for $5 at one of my favorite antique stores a few towns over. It is slightly larger than the rest of my dinner plates, but I love it and can't wait to use it all of the time. 



This blackberry plate was bought yesterday at an antique store down the street from my house. They were having a 50% off storewide sale, so I couldn't resist picking up at least one dish while I was there. This plate is quite small, but would be a perfect little dessert plate. It was stacked together with about six other matching plates, all of which had different cherry designs on them. This was the only blackberry one in the set and I just loved it! I'm glad I took the time to dig through it. This plate was originally $15, marked down to $7.50.


I bought this plate today at the same store as the blue flower plate pictured above. I just thought it was so pretty and I didn't already have a pink plate so I went ahead and got it. It was also $5.



Finally, this teal plate with the pink center flower plate was purchased at a yard sale yesterday for $1. It has a small gold rim detail on the outside of the plate. It is in great condition and I just couldn't resist it there.


Anyone else out there collect any specific vintage/antique items? I'd love to hear about it and why you started collecting!

-Kate











Comments